Apr 21, 05: Soapstone countertops in contemporary kitchen design
Soapstone countertops in contemporary kitchen design?
Posted by Gerry522 (My Page) on Wed, Apr 20, 05 at 4:09
| I need help pulling the kitchen design together, specifically with the cabinetry doors. We're trying to make a contemporary Asian esthetic with more traditional materials. Love the texture of Fu-tung Cheng's concrete countertop kitchens, but I really like soapstone. This is what we have so far. 5" brazillian cherry hardwood plank floors, soapstone counters, soapstone and granite(baking area) on the 10.5 X 4' island with a 48" Thermador 4 burner/wok rangetop and 54" Zephyr trapezee island hood (1200CFM), Wolf wall oven, Subzero 736 top/bottom. Builing a fairly large pantry so that we can go without upper wall cabinets. The Dilemma: What kind of cabinet doors should we use? Is it too much wood to have wood doors? All the pictures I have seen with wood floors and soapstone counters have painted white or cream colors,which looks great wth a traditional style door. I'd like to use a flat panel front and thought it may look like a bathroom. Maybe we could use a lighter wood on the perimeter cabinets and a dark mahogany on the island base with stainless toekick. What wood would look good with braillian cherry and soapstone? Has anyone tried to keep the natural color of the stone? Appreciate any help you can provide. Have wrestled with this for quite a while. |
Follow-Up Postings:
RE: Soapstone countertops in contemporary kitchen design?
| Sounds great. First, some questions: What sort of finish will be on the brazilian cherry floors? What tone - more reddish-orange, right? rather than yellow? Also, what color granite? And I assume the appliances are stainless steel, right? Hope about the walls? backsplash? I think you could achieve an interesting look with flat doors with no hardware or hardware that is modern and streamlined. As far as the color of the wood, if I were you I'd just hold some things up together in different lights and see what sings to you. It's quite personal. Pam |
RE: Soapstone countertops in contemporary kitchen design?
| A local tile showroom has soapstone tile countertops with a 1" glass mosaic backsplash. Contemporary and organic- just beautiful. |
RE: Soapstone countertops in contemporary kitchen design?
| Pam, Thamks for the reply. The granite is Azul Aran, blue-gray-white. The island is split level with the baking area 2' x 6'x 32" high baking area on one side and 10.5 x 2' x 36" on the cooking side with soapstone. The appliances are ss. The flooring is natural clear finish quarter sawn. It is medium tone red-orange tint, but is photo sensitive so it will darken. Do you think that it will look too heavy or unbalanced with that much wood, floors and cabinets? Pecanpie, |
RE: Soapstone countertops in contemporary kitchen design?
| Wow, it sounds stunning. I personally like a lot of contrast between the floor and the cabinets, partly to avoid a heavy or solid look. So, ironically, I'm imagining really dark cabinets - almost black - to contrast with the floor and harmonize with the counters. I could see that or ones with a steely grey stain, perhaps with some blue or green in it. I once saw a stain like that that I fell in love with. Another thought: Have you considered whether you want to go organic / textural, with softer finishes? Or more man-made with a harder shinier look? I'm imagining the former. |
RE: Soapstone countertops in contemporary kitchen design?
| Hi Pam, The design that I'm looking for is more organic and textural. Met with the cabinet guys today. Looked at the "wet" soapstone on a wenge sample and it didn't do anything for me. Rethinking that maybe we should go with all Azul Aran on the island with a dark stained cabinet. Soapstone on the perimeter cabinets, but what color? Looked at a blond fir sample which looked good with the brazillian cherry flooring, but wasn't crazy about the combination with the soapstone. Any suggestions? I agree with you that reversing of the contrast between the island and the perimeter would look good. The soapstone is a blue-gray tint. Thanks, Gerry |

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home