May 14, 05: Soapstone Counters Without Soapstone Sink?
Soapstone Counters Without Soapstone Sink?
Posted by nikkir (My Page) on Sat, May 14, 05 at 11:37
| Do you have soapstone counters with a different type of sink? Please post pictures if possible. |
Follow-Up Postings:
RE: Soapstone Counters Without Soapstone Sink?
| Yes! We have a stainless steel sink, and we love it. We have stainless appliances, too, so the sink fits right in. There are pics of our kitchen on My Page, but I think Yahoo! Photos is ill today. I couldn't even see my own pictures. You might try later, though. :-) |
Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler Staccato stainless steel sink
RE: Soapstone Counters Without Soapstone Sink?
| We have a soapstone carved apron front sink and also a stainless prep sink with my soapstone countertops. They both look great!! |
RE: Soapstone Counters Without Soapstone Sink?
| I have an Herbeau fireclay single bowl apron sink with soapstone. Pics link is on my page. The kitchen is still in progress I'm embarrassed to say. |
RE: Soapstone Counters Without Soapstone Sink?
| We're trying saopstone with Blanco's Silgranit in Anthracite - despite never having seen the two together. Sure Hope it looks good. I'll post pictures and a critique when done. We changed our minds from granite to soapstone after ordering cabinets, so couldn't do a farm sink. Lots of copper and ORB, so I couldn't see stainless, and white would have just shouted "Look at Me!", but I really don't want my sinks to be the focal point. So... |
RE: Soapstone Counters Without Soapstone Sink?
- sted by: Garden_Of_Darwin (My Page) on Sat, May 14, 05 at 15:10
| We're still working on our DIY soapstone tile countertop--finishing touches this weekend if it kills me. We have white cabinets and a Kohler white cast iron undermount sink. I think it looks great...but after all the sweat we've put into it, I think probably anything would look great! I'll try to get some photos tonight or tomorrow--final sanding is going on as I type, and then we'll oil and reinstall upper cabinets. Then I can take photos! Woo-hoo! Susan |
RE: Soapstone Counters Without Soapstone Sink?
| I am doing two undermount Blaco Magnum sinks with my ss. One is a smaller prep sink and the other is my main sink. |
RE: Soapstone Counters Without Soapstone Sink?
| Great question nikkir! I'm trying to decide on a sink, too, after coming to the conclusion that a copper apron front just won't work with the rest of my choices : ( Have you seen the matte black fireclay sinks? I'm wondering how they would look? I really love the white farm sink look...katalina-your kitchen has been one of my favorites since first coming to this forum! What type of ss do you have? I can't recall... |
RE: Soapstone Counters Without Soapstone Sink?
| We have a Stainless Steel undermount (Kindred platinum series) sink with our soapstone. We have SS range, fridge and vent hood so it looks fine. Here's a not so great shot of the sink w/soapstone. |
Here is a link that might be useful: stainless sink w/soapstone
RE: Soapstone Counters Without Soapstone Sink?
| This is *hands down* my single-most difficult decision. I *so* love soapstone sinks and white fireclay sinks and I simply cannot make up my mind. In my mind, a soapstone sink seems more durable and utilitarian. I wouldn't have to obsess about whether it looks clean; on the other hand, I really like the feeling of a sparkling clean kitchen (when I'm not cooking in it) and would the darkness or rusticness (is that a word?) of a soapstone sink somehow give the feeling of not being sparkly clean? On the other hand, I love the whiteness of the fireclay, and would love that it looks great when it's all sparkly clean, but will I have to constantly be cleaning it to make it look (and stay) that way? DH has a habit of pouring out coffee and not rinsing the sink afterwards. These are just things that I keep thinking about as I try to make a decision myself, so I feel your pain. Is there any reason why you would not like a soapstone sink? What are your thoughts about all the other options available? Is there something that you are really drawn to? |
RE: Soapstone Counters Without Soapstone Sink?
| tanders, I wish I could say that I had options, but at this point I do not. I never intended to do an entire kitchen reno, but that is exactly what my project morphed into. I came to choose soapstone VERY late in the game, when I was having to wait for a new shipment of my original choice for countertops. Once I saw the soapstone I had to have it, though I thought long and hard about the softness of it. My preference would be a soapstone sink, but, early on, I purchased a white cast iron undermount sink. I checked to see if I could return it and pay a restocking fee and was told that the supplier would not allow it. I am very sad, but there is nothing I can do. Besides, I don't imagine that my cabinetry can be altered. I THINK the sink will look okay because my cabinets and beadboard wainscoting will be white, but I asked the question for reassurance. The soapstone will be installed on May 23, provided my #$%@# cabinet guy finishes his part of the project. |
RE: Soapstone Counters Without Soapstone Sink?
| Oh, nikkir, If that's the reason you were asking, I think that the white cast iron will look just fine--GREAT in fact, considering you will also have the white wainscoting and cabinets. Nice combination--you'll be fine.... |
RE: Soapstone Counters Without Soapstone Sink?
- Posted by: orchidluvr (My Page) on Sat, May 14, 05 at 22:37
| nikkir, I feel your pain. My cabinet guys started in November! It certainly hasn't all been their fault, but wow, is this a slow process. Katalina - why do you feel embarassed?! You shouldn't. I would have been done long ago, but I was holding out for "what I want". Well, that has morphed into "when can it please be DONE?" and I am dealing with bad hinges at the moment. Still, all I need now are the DW and fridge panels and I can have the painters come back. So - I hate to say this - but it will be done soon! Anyway, I have a Shaw's original with my soapstone, and I *love* it. Here goes - hope Webshots cooperates. |
Here is a link that might be useful: My sink/countertop
RE: Soapstone Counters Without Soapstone Sink?
- Posted by: Cindymouse (My Page) on Sun, May 15, 05 at 10:15
| Orchidluvr, Seems my posting last night was bumped.. Somehow I have missed your kitchen until now-It is AWESOME! Are your SS counters from Green Mountain SS? I'm looking at Vermont SS thru my distributor. Also, what paint color is on your beadboard/cabs/trim? Again, fantastic job ! |
RE: Soapstone Counters Without Soapstone Sink?
| Yes, orchidluvr's kitchen is gorgeous. And thanks for the advice regarding 3' soapstone backsplash versus none. There seems to an equal divide, so I guess I can't go wrong! So, what about beadboard backsplash right down to the counter? What has been your experience? Will water seep through and what about clean up? |
RE: Soapstone Counters Without Soapstone Sink?
| Katalina, I'm in love with your kitchen in progress! It has a great combination of vintage & modern to it that I love. |
RE: Soapstone Counters Without Soapstone Sink?
- Posted by: Garden_Of_Darwin (My Page) on Sun, May 15, 05 at 20:41
Here's a "Just done" shot of Vermont Soapstone "Mt. Holly" aka "Marianna" with a Kohler Cast Iron undermount in white. Ours is a DIY tile installation, but I swear you can't see the seams, so it should give you an idea of the combination. I also have white cabinets, and they come down to the countertop here to give a china cabinet kinda look. I think the white sink really pops with the veins of the soapstone, and I think it looks great--but ymmv. Hope this helps!![]() ![]() Good luck! Susan |
RE: Soapstone Counters Without Soapstone Sink?
| Congratulations, Susan -- It looks wonderful! Your white to-the-counter cabinets are beautiful and it's great to hear you can't see the seams. Long weekend? |
RE: Soapstone Counters Without Soapstone Sink?
- Posted by: orchidluvr (My Page) on Sun, May 15, 05 at 23:45
| Cindymouse - Thanks a lot! I love the space, but I just can't wait for it to be **done**. Enough already!!! I want to put everything away and clean house (did I just say that?) My cabinets are Pittsburgh Paint's Candlewick, and yes, it is Green Mountain SS. I love it, but it is a bit on the soft side and nicks easily. Deb - I haven't had a problem with the beadboard so far, but I really haven't had the kitchen in heavy use. I don't think it will be a problem, though. The SS backsplash seems to catch the splashes from the sink. |
RE: Soapstone Counters Without Soapstone Sink?
| The black silgranite sink was the first element I chose (back when I thought I'd be top-mounting with a laminate counter). The kitchen project "expanded in scope," as they say, and the sink will be undermounted in soapstone. It supposed to happen this week. I can only hope! Sweeby--when is your installation due to take place? I think we're on the same wavelength with that luscious soapstone and the period-utilitarian-looking silgranite. |
RE: Soapstone Counters Without Soapstone Sink?
| Lynnski - We're DIYing, so who knows!? ;-) Upper cabs have been hung and lowers are probably going in tomorrow on one wall. I'm trying to nudge the sink install forward since our laundry sink is at the complete opposite end of the house, but DH knows better... I could probably persuade him to hold the sink up next to our bar counter (also soapstone) that IS complete for a sneak peek visual. Don't know what I'll do if I don't love it though... There's no white in sight in my kitchen, no stainless either. Could go with copper, but then the sink would be a focal point, which, because of my shall we say 'casual' housekeeping style, is not what I want. |
RE: Soapstone Counters Without Soapstone Sink?
| Good luck, Sweeby. I don't WANT a sneak peek visual!! We are casual housekeepers, too, and I hope this arrangement will make the sink understated, even though it is in a prominent position. There is no back-up plan. Just to hide the dishes in the sink... and swoon over the counters! |
RE: Soapstone Counters Without Soapstone Sink?
| Amen, sister! I want my sinks to disappear and let the countertops steal the show. |



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home