May 9, 05: Honed Soapstone?

Honed Soapstone?

Posted by schmoopy (My Page) on Mon, May 9, 05 at 16:01

After reading all the discussions about soapstone from all you East Coasters and seeng a small sample of it at Expo, I have wanted to get soapstone counters for my Northern California home. I want it for the warmth, the surface variation and the patina of scratches/chips. I was really surprised today, however, when I went to the only supplier of soapstone in the Sacramento area. They only had "honed" soapstone from Brazil, which was dense (no scratches), almost shiny and without variation, like a chalkboard. Did I just have the wrong image in my mind or is this something different?


Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Honed Soapstone?

Before oiling, soapstone is kind of a uniform dull gray. AFTER oiling, you see the veins, a lovely 'glow' (not shine) and lots of warmth. You would need to get a sample and oil it to know for sure what your sample piece looks ike. Water will give you a hint.

Your chalkboard comparison is a good one. Think of a blackboard after it's been written on and erased a lot, but not washed. That compares pretty well to 'pre-oiled' soapstone. Now imagine that same blackboard still damp from sponge-wiping -- that's what oiled soapstone looks like.


RE: Honed Soapstone?

It might also be the type of soapstone they had. The look oiled or not can really vary. There are some stones out there that have minimal to no veining and will still look uniform like a blackboard when oiled. Ask them what the name of the stone is.

RE: Honed Soapstone?

No, this soapstone, with the honed finish seems to even repel water...almost as if there is a finish on it (other than oil) already. It just doesn't sound like the descriptions everyone has given. I think I will have to broaden my search for more soapstones...

RE: Honed Soapstone?

When I was getting samples for my soapstone...(which I ultimately didn't get because the supplier couldn't meet my builder's timeline although there had been PLENTY of communication about that!!)...I had samples that were honed at different levels. Some I received were 200 grit, 220 grit, 400,600, and 800. I purchased a beautiful bowl that was 1800 grit honed. The 1800 was like glass, very slick. The 200-grit was somewhat rough. Not pleasing to me and would capture paper towel lint when wiped off. I like the feel of the ones that were 400- to 600-grit honed. Perhaps the piece you had seen was honed at a higher grit (it would then be more polished looking, but not yet shiny) and had Tenax (or equivalent) applied to it. ??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home